Setting up your user account
To be able to upload a video, you must have an account on an instance (a server running PeerTube). The PeerTube project maintains a list of public instances at instances.joinpeertube.org (note that instance administrators must add themselves to this list manually, it is not automatically generated).
Once you’ve found an instance that suits you, click the button “Create an account” and fill in you login (nickname), a email address and a password.
To log in, you must go to the address of the particular instance that you registered on. Instances share each other’s videos, but each instance’s index of accounts is not federated. Click on the “Login” button in the top-left corner, then fill in your login/email address and password. Note that the login name and password are case-sensitive!
Once logged in, your nickname and mail address will appear below the instance name.
To update your user profile, change your avatar, change your password, etc. click on the three vertical dots near your profile name to pop up a menu, then on the “My account” item. You then have a few options:
- My settings
- My library
- Ownership changes
In the tab My Settings, you can:
- change your avatar by uploading a .png, .jpeg, .jpg, with a maximum size of 100KB from your computer.
- see your used/maximum upload quota. This quota is determined by the instance hosting your account, and can vary from a few MB to thousands of GB, or even be unlimited. On instances that create different quality versions of your videos after uploading them (after a video transcoding step), the disk space occupied by all versions of the video is taken into account, not just the one you uploaded.
- modify your display name, which is different from your login name. Your login name cannot be modified once created.
- add a user description, which will be displayed on your public profile. It is often the first thing seen by visitors and users of PeerTube, and represents your identity, so don’t neglect it!
- change your password, by typing your password twice and clicking Change Password.
- on some instances, you can choose how to display videos with sensitive content: with blur, without blur or unlisted.
- you can choose to play videos automatically or not with a checkbox.
Not sure how to start your journey with PeerTube? Let's get you up and running in just a couple of minutes.
See and create video channels, ways for your audience to be notified of new videos.
Sharing a video
Where and what videos to upload, how to add informaton about your video, listing all your videos and sharing them for the world to see!